Quiz Tests CPT and HCPCS Coding Knowledge
Patricia Maccariella, RRA, CCS
As promised last month, this segment of CCS Prep! provides a brief multiple choice exam to test your skills in CPT and HCPCS coding. See if you can answer in one or two minutes per question. Do not assign anesthesia codes. Try answering the noncoding assignment questions from memory.
1. Right total frontal ethmoidectomy (external approach with Lynch incision made between left internal canthus and the nasal ridge); right maxillary sinusotomy; sphenoidotomy.
a.) 31255, 31256, 31287
b.) 31205, 31020, 31050
c.) 31205, 31256, 31287
2. A three-month-old baby presents for an adenoidectomy; bilateral myringotomy and nasal antral windows under general anesthesia.
a.) 42835, 31020, 69421
b.) 42830, 31020, 69436, 69436
c.) 42830, 31020, 31020, 69421, 69421
3. Austin bunionectomy right first metatarsal with 0.062 K wire fixation and application of cast.
c.) 28296, 29425
4. Esophagogastroduodeno-scopy with dilation of the esophagus over a guide wire at same operative episode.
a.) 43453, 43235
5. Excision of 3 cm inclusion cyst of left neck, closure of deep subcutaneous tissue with 3-0 Vicryl; skin closed with 4-0 Maxon. Steri-strips were applied.
b.) 11423, 12042
6. Cystoscopy with transurethral fulguration of 2.5 cm bladder tumor.
b.) 52000, 52500
7. Supervision and interpretation (professional component) for X-ray of right wrist, A/P and lateral views provided by the physician.
8. A muscle biopsy of the arm is performed on a patient in the physician's office. The specimen is sent to a pathologist for review and interpretation with microscopic examination. Which code(s) would the pathologist report?
b.) 80500, 88305
9. Laboratory performs an electrolyte panel with tests on carbon dioxide, chloride, sodium and potassium.
a.) 80051, 82374, 82435, 84295, 84132
10. Patient is admitted for Fowler-Stephens orchiopexy. Anesthesia is ad- ministered and the surgeon begins the abdominal incision. At that time, the patient experiences significant tachycardia. The surgeon decides to discontinue the procedure.
c.) No code necessary as procedure was terminated
11. Which HCPCS level II modifier is used to indicate left foot, second digit?
a.) - T2
b.) - T1
c.) - LT
12. Which national code is used to report administration of Cisplatin, 50 mg to a chemotherapy patient?
13. Pena procedure, urethroplasty, vaginoplasty and formation of a double bar- rel colostomy. Proximal colon used for graft.
a.) 46746, 44320
b.) 44320, 57292, 53450
14. Which of the following modifiers is provided for a "midlevel provider"?
a.) - NP
b.) - TC
c.) - AK
15. Surgeon A performs a surgical pro-cedure early in the morning. Later that day, the patient experiences complications, and the entire procedure is repeated by Surgeon B. What level I modifier would Surgeon B append to the surgical CPT code?
a.) - 77
b.) - 22
c.) - 51
16. Which codes replaced codes G0051, G0052 and G0053 for Medicare patients on Jan. 1, 1998?
a.) The codes were not replaced
b.) 17000, 17003 and 17004
17. Surgical procedures identified as "unilateral or bilateral", e.g., 52290, must not be used with level I modifier - 50?
18. Which HCPCS level II codes are reserved for vision, hearing and speech-language pathology services?
a.) G codes
b.) H codes
c.) V codes
19. Which symbol indicates a new code in both the CPT and HCPCS cod- ing books?
a.) a bullet
b.) a triangle
c.) a star
20. Strabismus surgery. Recession of medial rectus muscle of left eye; strabismus surgery on superior oblique muscle of right eye.
c.) 67311, 67318
We hope this short quiz assists you in preparing for the CCS or CCS-P examinations. Remember, Part I of the CCS exam consists of 60 multiple-choice questions (one hour) testing both inpatient and ambulatory care (ICD-9-CM). Part I of the CCS-P exam consists of 60 multiple-choice questions (90 minutes) testing physician based coding (ICD-9-CM diagnosis only, CPT and HCPCS Level II procedure coding across all specialties).
Patricia Maccariella is manager of coding services at United Audit Systems Inc. (UASI), a national consulting company offering multifaceted HIM and business office management services, headquartered in Cincinnati.